Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Hey friends! It's about 10pm or so Tuesday night here (3pm there) and we are about to hit the bed. Tomorrow is the first day of this entire trip that we have not had a single thing to think about. The boys are ours now and we even have their travel visas. We went to the embassy today to get the final visas and paperwork and ran into some folks we know from Birmingham who are also adopting. I won't mention names, since I didn't get their permission to do so....but, it was so wonderful to get to speak about 30min. of English with them. You don't realize how much you miss your language...and that gives us yet another thing to think about with our new sons! Anyway, since there is nothing pressing to do here tomorrow, we are gonna act like we are only tourists. So, we are looking into going to the local Kiev circus. We'll keep you posted on that...

But, Philip has been feeling better today. He has not had any fever and has been playing like before, so we think (and hope) all is back to normal for him. Thanks for all your prayers for him. Greg, however, is probably worse. He has developed a pretty yucky cough, which will be enjoyed by all passengers cooped up with him for 15+ hours on various airplanes! He hasn't felt quite as bad today because he wasn't feverish. But, I was able to get him some Augmentin 875mg (called something else of course!) and he started that today. Hopefully, he will feel better tomorrow.

I would like to ask you for prayers for both of us just for our emotional and mental states. This is without a doubt the hardest thing we have ever done and we are a tad bit overwhelmed. To top it off, my job is not secure right now and I am just on the edge. I had about 4 breakdowns with the final being tonight when I literally sobbed for about 5 mins. Greg was of course comforting me and I even got Jackson to crying! I hate that I let myself go in front of him like that...he is such a little worrier anyway. He did his best to make me feel better with a "massage"! Then Mary Margaret called me to tell me something about our work and I broke down again on her! I just never imagined how emotionally draining it would be to be away from almost everyone I love. Even with calls, emails, and blogposts, we just miss everyone so badly! And just the stress of 3 kids...all of them have spilled their drink at least once while eating out....is enough, much less without 2 of them not understanding us and the 3rd one asking us a thousand questions about why the 2 of them are doing this or that.....we are just a bit on edge. So, enough of my sob story....I just wanted to give you a little more details so you could lift us up to our Father. Thank God for His neverending love, guidance, healing, provision, leadership, saving grace, comfort, and mercy! And thank you all for walking with us through this wonderful, but stressful journey! We love and miss you all and will be blessed to get to see you in about 48 hours!

3 comments:

  1. Hi, everyone,

    I am sorry about all of the stress you have been through, and I hope that when you get started home, some relief will be felt. I am glad Philip is better, and I hope that Greg will be feeling better when you start your trip back to the states. Take care, and have a good night.

    With my love and prayers,
    Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  2. Melanie and Greg,
    Thanks for the blog. We know the exasperation you must be feeling after being away for so long...especially where you don't hear a lot of english spoken...also with Greg being somewhat under the weather. Just take some comfort in the fact that it is now LESS than 48 hours. It's "chin up" time...like Paw-Paw Smith would say, "Sugar girl, everything is gonna be alright!" Looking forward to hearing when you arrive back in the good ole" U S of A.
    Enjoy a day as tourists your last day there. Watch the chimps in the circus.

    Betty and Charles

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Melanie! I am thinking of you & wish I were there to help even if just for 5 minutes! I have my hands more than full just with Trey & you have had just Jackson for 6 years now. I can't imagine the stress your both under & at the same time great joy. Lots of emotions all at once-like when you have a newborn. Being home will help!

    My German friend who lives in Sweden is on her way to the Ukraine for work. She is a lawyer but just recently went back to work after having twin girls via IVF-they will be 2 in June! This will be her 1st time away from them & she was wondering if she will survive it-I told her imagine a quiet hotel room where she can put her stuff anywhere & not worry about it. And did I mention quiet?!! I dream of this very thing but sadly my job does not involve travel! She told me one day one of them took off her dirty diaper in the crib & everything had to be washed including the baby & meanwhile the other one was pulling soaking wet clothes out of the washer. Aaaggghhh! I thought of you, of course, when she mentioned going to the Ukraine. Mainly, this story is just a diversion from your current tribulations! Have a safe trip home & hope ya'll get well/stay well.

    ReplyDelete